Thursday, July 31, 2014

Regrets From the Single Years

As my parents can attest, I have always been excited to get on to the next phase of life. I crave change and development, and I have always had the most difficulty accepting a LACK of change. Not only is it boring, but it makes me feel like I am not progressing. As I have tried to get better at it, I swing between wishing everything would change all of a sudden to wishing nothing would ever change and Derek and I could perpetually live as newlyweds forever and ever (which isn't that healthy either...I am aware of this).

Lest my eagerness seems without consequences, I present to you my regrets from the single years!

1. Girly Girly Girly. There is nothing like cozying up in a nice bright pink flower comforter. No joke. One of my biggest regrets of pre-married life was that I didn't make every piece of my decor just absolutely and undoubtedly feminine. And even though Derek insists he would be fine with it if I went femi-crazy on our decor, I know that A. His guy friends would make fun of him for it when they came over (because I guess having a boring bachelor pad and no one to share your bed with at night is more fun?!) or B. a constant feeling of guilt that I have surrounded my manly man with the pinkest of hues.

So single ladies, do me a favor, and go buy this bed spread:
Get everything from this Walmart ad:
And bask in the glory of your girly-a-fied space.

2. Being More Social. While I have always been a social butterfly, there were certainly people I avoided because I felt weird starting conversations if I didn't know them. It has been really hard for Derek and I to make any friends here, so I am really wishing I would have spent more of my time with others when I really had the chance. Here's to hoping that the next place we move to will be more friendly. But in the mean time, singles: go hang out and just be goofy. Meet new people and have fun.

3. Find something you love and embrace it completely, even if you suck. It wasn't until I got to college that I found that I actually loved fitness. And while sometimes I am more in-shape than others (like right now I am pretty much just in-shape for a doughnut competition) I still love the challenge and have fun running, doing stadium stairs, yoga, and hiking. Growing up I had seen people be so good sports, I felt like there was no way I could ever be good at something like that, so I never even tried. The same applies to art, writing, cooking, and getting an education. Try EVERYTHING. You may hate a lot of it, you may be bad at a lot of it, but you may also be surprised with how alive it makes you feel!

My First Marathon!
Inferno Challenge (a really hard workout...)

Junior Year: 180+ pages of writing
100% On my history final!
Derek and I painted this!

And I painted this!
I cooked my first turkey!!!

I graduated college...WITH HONORS! :D

You may be surprised where all this takes you...

Enjoy the life you are living! Go out and have fun! xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I loved the girly room stuff. I think that's why as a mom you love having a daughter so you can try the really girly pink room.
    The socializing thing is interesting too. After my first year of marriage I was just making friends when we moved, and I thought, I can't wait that long to make friends, it's too hard. So I made a conscious effort to make friends faster, which really was an effort because I was an introvert.
    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like when I first got in the ward I was feeling really energized to get to know people, but then everyone in the ward seemed really cold and it took the wind out of my sails. I want to do things with people, but I feel like there is no one who I can actually just relax and be friends with...it all seems forced! I guess everyone just has stuff going on. And when you have to plan around your spouse and make sure he has someone to chat with too, it all just seems like a lotta work!

      Delete